We all feel stressed out from time to time. Financial pressures, work pressures, family pressures – so much to do, with so little time to do it all. Try these five tips to help ease the pressure and relieve stress:
- Schedule time every day to disconnect from the daily grind and relax, even if it’s only for a few minutes. Shut off your cell phone, take a break from email and do something you enjoy. Reading, playing a musical instrument, listening to music, exercising, meditating, and taking a relaxing bath are all great ways to unwind and will be beneficial to your mental health.
- Get some distance from a stressful situation so that you can better gather your thoughts. If possible, take a day, or even a weekend, away from your usual surroundings–somewhere peaceful–and relax. Take a journal along so you can jot down any ideas. Distance away from problems can bring clarity. Solutions will come more easily when you are calm and relaxed than when you’re in the heat of battle.
- Often we become stressed when confronted with changes in our lives. Change is a constant in life and refusing to accept it can cause stress levels to soar. When you are faced with a change, try to find the positives associated with it and go with the flow, rather than trying to resist it. Remember that every change presents an opportunity for you to grow. Change doesn’t cause stress–only your reaction to the change can cause stress.
- Many of us are over-extended with work, family, and other responsibilities. Trying to find the right balance can be difficult. The more we put off the items on our to-do list, the longer the list grows, and the more it contributes to elevated stress levels. Schedule a “Blitz Day” to knock out all those items you’ve been avoiding. Rise early in the morning and spend the entire day knocking out the items on your list. Your stress will be lower as you cross items off, but more importantly, you’ll realize just how effective and industrious you can be when you apply the full force of your will to accomplish things.
- Treat yourself to a pamper day. This is a day where you escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday living and enjoy some stress-free time. You’ll feel great and give your well-being a boost. Enjoy a light workout, a swim, a sauna, or a massage. Treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure, or facial.