3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter 2 large baking sheets.
- Whisk together flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth.
- Drop level tablespoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are puffed and edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer cookies to racks.
- Whisk together all glaze ingredients and brush onto tops of warm cookies. [Note, you should sift the confectioners sugar first.]
- Let stand until cookies are completely cooled and glaze is set.
Note: After I glazed 2/3 of the cookies with the vanilla glaze, I whisked cocoa powder in to the glaze (you can do this to taste) and used that on the rest of the cookies.