- 6 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin softened in 1 1/2 tablespoons of water
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced, quartered or halved
- Fleur de sel and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- In a small skillet, combine the feta and cream and simmer over moderate heat until the feta is slightly melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the softened gelatin and transfer to a blender. Puree until fairly smooth. Season with white pepper. Scrape the mixture into a shallow bowl and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Bring the feta mousse back to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk the mousse until loosened. Spread the mousse in the center of each plate. Top with the tomatoes, lightly seasoning each layer with fleur de sel and black pepper.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, garnish with the olives, red onion and oregano and serve.
- Cheese, Salads