The plot of Four Christmases is probably not on your wish list this year, but what may be is the set's holiday decor. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, this film has gone from comedy to Christmas classic. Although it's a few years old, we're still inspired by the the movie's Christmas spirit. Taking place around all types of holiday celebrations, this movie has decor from the traditional to the unexpected. Click through to find out how you can get a similar look in your home this Winter!
It's Tuesday, so you know what that means — new DVD releases just in time for the Thanksgiving break! I've already shared some fresh music picks, but here are three movies to add to your Netflix queue for the weekend.
Adam Sandler plays a comedian who tries to turn his life around and befriend a past love (Leslie Mann) after being diagnosed with a blood disorder; Seth Rogen steps in as his idealistic assistant. Both men turn in solid performances in Funny People, and there are laughs, even though this is way more serious than director Judd Apatow's previous work. One of my complaints in the theater was that it was much too long, but that's the good thing about DVDs — you can always hit pause and go back later.
The single disc version includes a gag reel and a feature commentary with Apatow, Rogen, and Sandler. (Normally I don't watch with the commentary on, but in this case, I might just tune in for their wise cracks.) The special two-disc collector's version is loaded with extras, including a 13-year old Seth Rogen doing stand-up!
Two more DVD releases to check out when you read more
The Day the Earth Stood Still may not have been a critical hit but it is now officially a box office success, earning $31 million over the weekend and topping Four Christmases, which slid into second place. Twilight, Bolt, and Australia followed in third, fourth, and fifth places respectively.
Meanwhile, Variety is reporting that smaller, independent films "delivered one of the best weekends ever for the specialty box office." Movies like Doubt, The Reader and Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino all enjoyed strong debuts, while movies like Milk and Frost/Nixon continue to draw good sized audiences in theaters.
Photos courtesy of 20th Century Fox
- Catherine Hardwicke, the director of Twilight (which has your current sexiest group of 2008), announced she will not be working on the sequel, New Moon, because of "timing." — BBC News
- Four Christmases scored the top spot at the box office again with $18.2 million, and Twilight came in second. — BuzzSugar
- Chris Klein and Big Love's Ginnifer Goodwin broke up after dating for two years. — Us Weekly
- Eli Stone's Jonny Lee Miller and his wife Michele had a baby boy named Buster Timothy on Wednesday in LA. This is their first child. — AP
- Alyssa Milano filed a temporary restraining order against a man she says is stalking her and attempted to break into her house. The court date is set for Jan. 21. — Entertainment Tonight
- The host of Man vs. Wild, Bear Grylls, injured his shoulder in Antarctica on Friday while on a private expedition unrelated to his show. — E! Online
- Eric Mabius from Ugly Betty and his wife Ivy Sherman welcomed a second baby boy named Rylan Jaxson. Their first son, Max, is two years old. — Life & Style
Reese and Vince proved a potent pair at the box office once again as Four Christmases came in at No. 1 for the second weekend in a row. The holiday comedy earned an estimated $18.2 million over the weekend, bringing its overall total since debuting to $70.8 million. Meanwhile, Twilight continues to plow full steam ahead, coming in at No. 2 and bringing its overall total to an impressive $138.6 million. The top five was rounded out by Bolt in third, Australia in fourth, and Quantum of Solace at No. 5.
There are a lot of "specialty" offerings at the moment, many of which are doing very well given how many theaters they're playing in. Cadillac Records had a decent debut at No. 9, and both Slumdog Millionaire and Milk continue to thrive thanks to great buzz.
Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.
Four Christmases Style: Kate This is the outfit that Kate (Reese Witherspoon) wears for the majority of Four Christmases, it's also the most classic. The top was created by costume designer Sophie Carbonell but the blouse from Theory looks nearly identical to it. On bottom Kate wears a skirt by Hugo Boss and a belt from Furla. Shop these items and her accessories now.
- "Sometimes when I get nervous, I put my fingers in my armpits and sniff them like that. I was prepared to play Moses, not Joseph!"
- Vince: "I will now play 'Silent Night' using only armpit farts!"
- "Listen up Mary, we got 1 down to go with 4 seconds left so I need you to launch that baby as far as you can. You got that?!"
"Yes. . ."
"Everybody, can I get a 'Hail Mary'?!"
- Vince (whiny voice): "I wanted to be baby Jesus!"
Time to vote!
Photo courtesy of Warner Brothers
Four Christmases Style: Kate In another early scene from Four Christmases, Kate (Reese Witherspoon) takes dance lessons with her boyfriend Brad (Vince Vaughn). Because she's showing off her moves, Kate wears a dress that sways with her. This particular piece is from Moschino, which she pairs with a belt from Yves Saint Laurent and a Cartier love bracelet.
- Robert Downey Jr. was hurt on the Sherlock Holmes set while filming a fight scene. He was knocked out by another actor and given six stitches on his mouth. — The Sun
- Hillary Clinton officially accepted President-elect Barack Obama's offer to be his secretary of state, making her the highest ranking secretary in his cabinet. — CitizenSugar
- Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn's Four Christmases opened at the top spot at the box office this holiday weekend with $46.7 million, while Nicole Kidman's Australia debuted in fifth place. — BuzzSugar
- Winona Ryder is being investigated by police after she lost $125, 000 worth of Bulgari diamonds on loan to her for a party. Winona said she had given the jewelry to her hotel staff for safekeeping, but the hotel denied this. — Daily Mail
- Travis Barker and DJ AM are reuniting on stage for the first time since the concert immediately before their plane crash for a New Year's Eve concert in LA. — AP
- Rosie O'Donnell's variety shows have been cancelled, according to a shorthand message Rosie posted on her blog. — Us Weekly