Gwen Stefani and her husband, Gavin Rossdale, squeezed in some holiday shopping when they hit up a Barnes & Noble in Studio City, CA, yesterday. Gwen and Gavin walked hand in hand while Gavin carried two large shopping bags full of items. Gwen wore a tweed coat smartly thrown over her shoulders and red leather pants, which perfectly matched her ever-present red lipstick. The couple didn't shop with their kids, Zuma and Kingston, though, since they were busy at school. Gwen and Gavin's outing continued their recent PDA trend after they kissed on stage while performing together at KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas earlier this month. They've been especially affectionate and open about their relationship lately, with Gwen also touching on the subject in her interview in Vogue's upcoming January issue.
There's a reason Gwen Stefani is at the head of the stylish-celeb-mom pack, and we can place full accountability on looks like these. See, we never lose sight of the fact that Gwen is a bonafide rock star (she is wearing red leather pants after all), but she's able to deftly temper her onstage image with something more polished, mature, and, well, copy-worthy. It's a four-part ensemble, equipped with enough punch to please the edgier styler, and enough sophistication for someone who craves classic references. We're breaking it down to make the process of re-creating it that much easier — just keep reading.
- You need exactly one edgier piece for this kind of chic-meets-cool-girl outfit. Gwen chose a red leather pant, but if you aren't ready to take that leap, a black leather iteration (even coated/waxed would work) will suffice. If you forgo this step, then you basically have an entirely different look. The thing is — the slicked-up tough vibe of the pants is what allows the rest of the components to shine.
- This is your one-two punch right here: classic staples times two. Pair the pants with a soft, textured black turtleneck and a plaid coat. There's nothing quite like the when-opposites-attract effect, and we've got to say, the juxtaposition of leather against timeless prepster pieces is a match made in style heaven. Side note: you don't have to emulate the coat-draped-over-shoulders look. We know the verdict's out on this particular styling cue, but do make sure your outerwear is ultratailored and cut closer to the body.
- Finish the look with your favorite pair of heeled booties. Instead of opting for a low-key ankle boot, give this look its polished due with something a little more formalized. You can still keep the edge (hey, booties are no black-tie affair), without sacrificing the sophisticated layers on top.
In Hollywood, there are a ton of fabulously dressed actresses and style-setters who manage to keep up their game while also taking care of the kiddies. But we're zeroing in on the standouts of that stylish celebrity pack with a toast to these five moms — Nicole Richie, Miranda Kerr, Beyoncé Knowles, Jessica Alba, and Gwen Stefani — who prove with every street-style outing and event appearance that being a mother doesn't mean sacrificing your sartorial prowess. Nicole perfected the difficult mix of casual and chic and always had the best handbags and shoes. Miranda looked majorly polished in high-end designerwear, no matter the occasion. Beyoncé kept it eclectic in loud colors and prints, while Jessica was consistently on trend, especially with her plethora of colored jeans. And finally, Gwen continued her rocker-chic streak both on the streets and at special events. Which star do you think deserves the title of most stylish celebrity mom of 2012? Cast your vote now!
Gwen Stefani covers Vogue's January issue, and in the glossy, the No Doubt frontwoman gets candid about balancing life as a rock star, designer, and mom. Gwen and No Doubt reunited this year for their first album in more than a decade, and between her music career, two sons, and multiple fashion lines, Gwen admits she sometimes feels overwhelmed. Fortunately, she says, that's given her plenty of angst to inspire her new music. The issue hits stands on Dec. 25, but in the meantime, here's more from Gwen Stefani in Vogue:
- On what inspires her music: "There has to be some kind of saga going on. . . . Ten years ago, I had started L.A.M.B. because I was preparing myself, knowing that the music thing was going to end. Who knew that ten years later, I'd be doing a No Doubt record, be married, have two kids, have three clothing lines? All at one time! It would be ridiculous to do that. And it is ridiculous. It's impossible. . . . That's what this whole record was: trying to balance it, trying to be my creative self but also be the new me."
- On her marriage to Gavin Rossdale: "You feel proud. There are just so many rewards that come with it. You have to work at it. But, actually, it's fun to get to this point. Because you learn so much about somebody. . . . And then having kids takes the whole relationship to another place. It is the ultimate collaboration. Both of us have such strong opinions about how it should be, and it's really fun to do it together."
- On motherhood: "It's superfun being a mom, but it's not what you think it's going to be. And it's really gradual. At first, your life is totally the same. . . . as they grow older, it really does start to change your life. Like, 'Oh, my God, they have school, they have to get through first grade, they have to learn to read.' It starts getting so serious, and you're like, 'Aaaaaaah!'"
Photos courtesy Annie Leibovitz for Vogue
Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale, and their kids made a sweet delivery to a friend's house in LA yesterday. Gwen was spotted carefully balancing a chocolate cake on a glass stand as she headed into the house. A hint of a red mandarin gown could be seen under Gwen's black sweater coat as she walked on the grass. Meanwhile, Gavin was seen holding a large serving tray of food as he helped usher his children, Kingston and Zuma, and their family dog into the friend's pad.
Gavin and Gwen have been sticking close since celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary in September. The rocker couple were most recently at KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas earlier this month when Gwen surprised Gavin and his band, Bush, on stage to help them sing "Glycerine."
Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale kicked off their Saturday at a birthday party in LA with their kids, Kingston and Zuma. The foursome headed to a park for the bash, which included balloon animals and games. While Kingston and Zuma were playing, Gwen and Gavin snuck away and shared a sweet hand-holding moment. After they wrapped up the family fun, Gwen and Gavin got to work. Gavin and his band, Bush, appeared at the first night of KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas concert as did The Lumineers, Linkin Park, and others. While Gavin was performing "Glycerine," Gwen surprised the audience by joining him on stage to sing the hit. The duo closed out their show with a kiss in front of the screaming crowd.
We can thank our favorite celebrities for setting the bar for wedding dress couture very high. Take, for instance, Kate Moss's custom John Galliano creation, Kate Middleton's custom Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen gown, and Gwen Stefani's John Galliano for Christian Dior pink ombré number. All amazing on another level. But that's not where the list of stunning wedding gowns ends. This A-list set of blushing brides have not only breathed new life into the most romantic dresses, but they helped spotlight nonwhite numbers: Anne Hathaway swept us off our feet with her princess-like tulle off-the-shoulder Valentino gown; Jessica Biel surprised in a pale pink Giambattista Valli dress; Margherita Missoni channeled her iconic bohemian-cool style in — what else? — Missoni; and Natalie Portman went to her good friends, Rodarte designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy, for wedding dress salvation. Floor-length and ethereal, traditional and lacy, or formfitting and marigold-hued, there is a wide, beautiful range of wedding-dress fare to fawn over right here. Take a look!
— Additional reporting by Melody Nazarian
With the holiday party circuit almost upon us, what better time than now to draw inspiration from celebrities who love to sparkle in red sequins? Gwen Stefani wore a daring red sequined crop top with a matching blazer and trousers while performing with No Doubt at Gibson Amphitheatre in LA, Fergie dazzled in a red Monique Lhuillier minidress with long sleeves and gunmetal Fergie Footwear pumps at an event in West Hollywood, and Taylor Swift performed at KIIS FM's Jingle Ball in LA shining in a red sequined top with black high-waist shorts and red oxfords. Take a cue from these festive ladies and add a little red sequin to your holiday wardrobe. Shop our favorite pieces below to get started.
Gwen Stefani was decked out in a printed Tucker coat and black wide-brimmed hat for a Starbucks stop in LA yesterday. The singer brought son Zuma Rossdale along for the outing, and the two enjoyed their drinks while heading back to the car. Gwen's getting back to the daily grind after wrapping up a string of concerts with No Doubt last night. The band performed six sold-out shows at LA's Gibson Amphitheatre to promote its latest album, Push and Shove. While Gwen shows off her six-pack abs and toned legs on stage, she has been quick to admit that it doesn't come easy. Gwen recently told Marie Claire UK that she has "kind of stopped working out" because her body "needed a break."