Holiday parties are just around the corner and to get you ready to go from work to cocktail party, here are holiday tips for smokey eyes, how to do the deep red lip and wear it correctly so as not to look 'clownish' and easy hair tips for day to night!
What are the hottest makeup trends to watch this holiday season?
Two looks are classic and hot right now: The smokey, shimmery eye paired with light lips and the deep red lips balanced with a light eye. Shimmer is in this year, as it was last year, and it's the perfect festive look as long as you don't overload on the shimmer.
Musts for this season!
Primers are a must this season for both face and eye makeup. Primers go on before foundation or eye shadow and keep makeup in place for hours. They also fill in fine lines and skin imperfections so your tinted moisturizer goes on smoothly. Also this year, skip the foundation and try a tinted moisturizer which is much more light and gives a dewy finish, which is very sexy.
How to transform your LOOK from work to evening!
Transitioning from work to evening is actually pretty easy if you prep yourself. Apply tinted moisturizer (or foundation), mascara and gloss or lipstick before work. After work, cover any blemishes by patting in a concealer (never rub). Then follow these steps for either the smokey eye look or the deep red look.
For the Smokey Eye
1. Apply your eye makeup: Eyeliner on both top and bottom lashes (be sure to 'smudge it,' dark eyeliner will age you), *See the Smokey Eye Tutorial on Page 1 of Beauty Shoppe* a eye shadow primer and a shimmery shadow on the lid. Don't apply any more mascara unless your earlier application has rubbed completely off, otherwise you risk getting clumpy lashes.
2. Dab a shimmery blush to cheeks.
3. Powder your face lightly.
4. Apply a light lipstick or gloss.
For Deep Red Lips
1. Cover unsightly veins on eyelids with a matte eyeshadow in a color that's as close as your skin tone as possible (such as beige).
2. Apply a very light shimmery blush on cheeks.
3. Line lips and fill in with your favorite red color.
4. Powder face.
How to wear these looks without looking CLOWNISH!
Never play up BOTH the eyes and the mouth.
What you can do to do make sure that the makeup they are wearing for a good 16 hours (8am-midnight) keeps looking fresh and clean?
Primer is key. You should prime your skin before applying foundation or tinted moisturizer, and you should prime your eyes before applying shadow. Also, carry oil-blotting papers if you tend to get greasy, holiday food can be very rich. It's better to blot the oil than to keep applying powder, which can give you a cakey appearance.
How to go from your professional day at work hairstyle to a party hairstyle in a snap!
1. For straight, medium-length hair, wash your hair and blow it 2/3rds dry in the morning, then twist it into a low bun (a few unkept strands are very sexy). Undo hair before the party -- you'll have gorgeous waves. Spray with a purse-size hair spray. You could also do the opposite: Blow hair dry and wear it down during the day, then twist it into a sophisticated bun for the evening. A few ends popping out is very in right now.
2. For curly, long-ish hair, an 'unkept updo' is very sexy for parties. Let hair airdry in the morning, twisting ringlets in place with fingers. After work, pull hair up in a modern version of a French twist or messy bun. Another option is to pull hair on the sides back and clip in place with a fancy clip. This gives shows off your long curly locks, but accentuates the face as well.
3. For short hair, curl hair in the morning then freshen curls before the evening with a curling iron. Spray hair before you go out. You can do this in your office bathroom. Don't have access to a curling iron? Add body by back combing and hold it in place with a bit of hairspray. You can also accessorize with a headband.