Jessica Simpson flashes her famous big smile — and her country wardrobe — on the September cover of Elle. Jess has a new album, a doting boyfriend, and a close-knit family and seems really happy at this point in her life. Things weren't always this way though, and the singer opens up about her past troubles, including a surprising revelation about abuse, in her interview. Here's more:
- On her new song about abuse: "I had to record that. There’s nothing on my album that you’re gonna hear that I don’t relate to or that I haven’t experienced. Because the only way I know how to sing is from life experience. I don’t want to talk about it, but I have definitely experienced abuse in a way that I would tell people to take their heart and run."
- On Joe Simpson running her life: "That’s ludicrous. He just wants me to be happy. Our whole family gets beaten, but that just brings us closer. So people are really doing themselves a disservice."
- On past problems with love: "I was going through a lot of pain. I didn’t try anything to change my life other than dating different types of guys and conforming to their worlds. I thought I had to be artsier, more intellectual."
To hear what Jess has to say about Tony Romo, messing up in front of Dolly Parton, and even her relationship with John Mayer just read more.
- On messing up on stage: "I was singing ‘9 to 5’ and I choked and forgot the words in front of the president and in front of Dolly Parton, who’s like the president to me. And the last time I sang in front of the president , I had messed up the lyrics to ‘God Bless America’ so its kind of a thing I have with George W. Anyway, I broke down and said I’m sorry in front of the whole audience. My dad was there. I looked him in the face and said, ‘I will never sing again.’"
- On John Mayer: "John believed in the Jessica Simpson that’s within. He cherished our love. He helped make me the woman I am today. John is going to be an amazing man for someone, but I know that I was supposed to be with someone else."
- On Tony Romo: "Most of the guys I dated were captivated by my heart but they had different ways of trying to get to me. Tony understands me. He appreciates my talent. He’s the first person I’ve spiritually connected with. I’m a girl that loves to be in love. I love love!"
- On people disliking her: "So many people want to bring me down, and I can’t wait to prove them wrong."