Robert Pattinson is on the April cover of Vanity Fair, and the magazine just released the cover with some teaser quotes from the article. He's starting to promote Water For Elephants, and his director in that movie spoke about Rob's connection with a certain costar, the elephant Tai, while Reese Witherspoon recounted another story about his crazy fans. Robert also spoke about Kristen Stewart, Twilight, his favorite candy, and why he respects Charlie Sheen. Here are highlights:
- On his relationship with Kristen: "It's just very traumatic. When [Twilight] is over, the media will lose interest [in the relationship]. There'll be nothing to say. It won't fit into a headline anymore. It won't fit into a template."
- On Kristen: "Kristen is very focused on being an actress. I mean, that's what she is—she's an actress. Whereas I—I just don't really know. She's cool. Even before I knew her I thought she was a really good actress. Like, I saw Into the Wild, and I thought she was really good in that. I still think there are very few girls in her class that are as good as she is."
- On Tai the elephant: "She was the best actor I ever worked with in my life. I cried when the elephant was wrapped. I never cried when anyone else was wrapped."
- On being anonymous during his recent road trip: "No one recognized me or anything. And I was like, Ah, this is really cool, sitting there eating chicken wings and stuff. They always find out somehow."
- On his downtime: "I've just kind of stopped doing everything. I never change the channel in my trailer. I just watch reruns of House of Payne and Two and a Half Men. I love Cops—I think it's my favorite TV show… God," he says, laughing, "I sound like such a loser."
- On Twilight: "There's nothing you can do about it. That's the way it is. But it is weird being part of that, kind of representing something you don't particularly like … God. I just really headbutted it. This thing with everyone knowing you … it's weird, because people have this one-sided relationship where they look at your picture and feel they know you more than someone they actually know. I don't really know myself that well. I can't really understand it even now. It does have an angle which is attached to something quite primal in girls. I guess people want it to define them, like 'I'm a Twilight fan.'… I think people really just like being part of a crowd. There's something just tremendously exciting about hyping yourself up to that level."
- On Charlie Sheen: "I like crazy people who don't give a f*ck."
- Reese Witherspoon on Rob mania: "I'd never seen anything like that, ever. They were waiting at five o'clock in the morning to see him. Young girls. Where are their mothers? I hear so many horror stories about young actors with attitude showing up late or hung over, and there wasn't any of that. He worked so hard."
- Director Francis Lawrence on Rob and Tai: "I wouldn't be surprised if Rob says the reason he took the movie was because of the elephant. He really fell in love."