Salma Hayek is never afraid to speak her mind and April's Glamour is no exception. The fiercely independent actress and producer reveals some interesting info about her personal life like how she momentarily wished for a son and is perfectly content to live in a different continent than her fiancé. Here's more:
- On wanting a boy: "Well, I have to confess something — I wanted a boy. . . At the beginning I did. Probably because I was afraid. I think women suffer a bit more than boys, and there is always conflict between mothers and daughters. But now that she’s here, I’m so happy she’s a girl. And I can’t imagine there ever being conflict between us, because I’m in a state of innocence where I love everything she does. If she does a poop and I have to change the diaper, I love that moment!"
- On living in LA while Francois-Henri lives in Paris: "To most women it’s crazy. But every relationship is unique, and in order to make it work you have to be willing to listen — not only to your partner, but to the relationship itself. You have to be brave enough to say, 'This is who we are: We might not look like the perfect couple, or like our parents did, but this is our love story.'"
To see what else Salma says about Valentina, Francois-Henri and whether she sees marriage in her future just read more
- On not spending all her time with Francois-Henri: "Wishing is a good thing. But wishing you could be together more is so much better than wishing you could get the hell away from someone. [Laughs.] François is very generous in his respect for me: He not only gets out of my way, but he’s completely supportive. He pushes me in the right direction. He challenges me with a sense of humor. I feel lucky to have found a man who is so smart and successful in his own right, so there is no competition between us. He understands I was happy and had a great life before I met him."
- On getting married: "Right now I am just enjoying my baby. Do I think we are going to get married? Probably. Will it make a difference? I hope not. I don’t have a need for marriage. You want to grow old with someone, you want to have a partner and to have children—we have all those things. Some people need the commitment. Maybe we’ll just make the party!"
- On Francois-Henri's relationship with Valentina: "He warned me from the beginning that he gets very nervous when babies are so little—he thinks he’s going to break them! But he plays with her, sleeps with her, loves her, kisses her. He’s not obsessed like me. But he’s had two before!"
- On how Valentina has changed her life: "I don’t remember very well who I was before. Part of me feels like it’s so new and so strange to have a baby, and part of me feels like I’ve known [her] face forever. Somehow I am really relaxed within the chaos of having a baby—and anyone who’s a mother knows it’s very hard to relax, because there is so much to do and worry about! I just feel so fortunate to be her mother, and it makes me excited about the rest of my life, because I will get to witness her transformation every day. I feel I was born to have this girl."
Even though Salma has an unconventional relationship with her man, it's pretty clear that she and Francois-Henri have formed an adorable family of three. We're big fans of moms gushing over their daughters, so as long as Salma's happy, we are too.