1 bunch scallions, cut up
2 small stalks celery, cut up
2 sprigs fresh parsley, cut up
3 tablespoons Creole mustard *
5 teaspoons paprika
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped celery
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh parsley
1 cup coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
1 pound whole fresh shrimp, boiled, peeled, deveined, and chilled
* Can substitute whole-grain Dijon mustard.
- Grind the bunch of scallions, two celery stalks, and two sprigs fresh parsley in a food processor or reduce almost to a puree in an electric blender.
- Place the vegetable puree in a china or stainless-steel bowl, then add the mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne and blend with a wooden spoon. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and basil and blend again. Gradually add the olive oil, stirring constantly.
- When well blended, add the chopped shallot, celery, and finely minced parsley and stir thoroughly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- At serving time, chop the lettuce and put 1/4 cup on each salad plate. Place the boiled shrimp on top of the lettuce, and after stirring it well pour about 1/4 cup remoulade sauce over each portion; the sauce should completely cover the shrimp. Serve well chilled.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish