For more recipes like this check out my blog, Whipped, at www.whippedbaking.com!
I love regular pumpkin bars – but the addition of banana makes the flavor in these so smooth and compliments the pumpkin perfectly. Topped with a light cream cheese frosting - these are heaven. Plus these are a much lower cal way to indulge in a fall favorite – all of the flavor and none of the guilt!
Note: These can also easily be made into a dairy-version by swapping out the soy yogurt for regular yogurt, dairy-free cream cheese for regular, and vegan margarine for regular
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 8-ounce package dairy-free cream cheese (I like Tofutti brand) , softened
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (I like Earth Balance), softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, mashed banana, sugar, oil, soy yogurt, and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
3. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and baking soda
4. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.
5. Spread the batter into your greased baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean with most crumbs clinging to it. Let cool completely before frosting.
6. Combine the dairy-free cream cheese and vegan margarine in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.