1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup water, divided
2 teaspoons white wine (optional)
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 pinches ground nutmeg
1 pinches ground cloves
6 large sea scallops, tough ligament removed from side of each if attached
- Heat tablespoon olive oil to 12-inch skillet over medium. Add cabbage, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in 1/4 cup water and one tablespoon of vinegar. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- While cabbage simmers, make the spice mix by combining spices in small bowl. Rinse scallops and pat dry. Season top and bottom with spice mixture.
- Deglaze cabbage skillet with a teaspoon of white wine and add one teaspoon of olive oil. Sauté scallops, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Place on plate.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup water, teaspoon of vinegar, and teaspoon white wine to skillet and boil, stirring, until slightly thickened about 1 to 2 minutes. Add accumulated scallop juices. Place scallops on bed of cabbage and pour sauce over scallops and cabbage.
- Main Dishes