Before Dorothy made it back to Kansas, she had to face a few witches down her yellow brick road. Although the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz is most popular for featuring witches like the Wicked Witch of the West and the good witch Glinda, several stories and renditions of these leading Oz ladies have been created. Inspired by the Oz the Great and Powerful, out today, we're taking a look back at the evolution of the three witches who have influenced this famous story. From the good and glittery to the green and envious, the witches of the north, west, and east are nothing short of witchcraft, whimsy, and history, too!
A Colbert might be headed to Congress sooner than we think! Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the older sister to comedian Stephen Colbert, is looking to fill Tim Scott's South Carolina House seat this May. The South Carolina resident wants to bring her big family upbringing and her business background to Washington — a longtime dream of hers. Her brother is a household name and she's up against scandal-struck Mark Sanford; here are five more things to know about Elizabeth Colbert Busch:
- For starters, she's Stephen Colbert's older sister: It's actually the childhood memory of Stephen sitting on her lap while the two were watching Robert Kennedy's funeral that first sparked Elizabeth's interest in politics.
- She's an accomplished businesswoman: Although they are close, Elizabeth is confident that her brother's fame will not overshadow her. As the director of business development for Clemson University, she explains that "when people see what I have done and they know the work we have done and they know me as a person and a professional, it will be fine."
- You can call her Lulu: On the ballot, you'll see her name as Elizabeth Colbert Busch, but her nickname is actually Lulu, as revealed by Stephen, who plans to support her privately.
- Her positivity is the reason behind her success: She's a successful businesswoman and it is her mindset that "life is good, life is beautiful, and you just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other." A friend claims that has allowed her to battle through tough times like divorce and loss.
- Her big family is a big deal: Elizabeth believes that coming from a family of 11 kids has made her passionate about children's opportunities and given her strong negotiation skills. It is probably the reason she feels so committed to people in her community, who have pushed her through both the good times and the bad.
- She goes with her gut, just like her brother: Waiting to live out her dreams, Elizabeth believes now is the time to do it. In a recent interview, she explained her sense of urgency, claiming, "My gut says you're never going to get this opportunity again. And you don't want to turn around as an old woman and say, 'I didn't try.'"
Check out her website for more information about Elizabeth and her campaign!
Happy Thanksgiving! As we eat our way through the well-loved American holiday, we're thankful for our favorite funny ladies of Twitter. From last weekend's AMAs to Turkey Day preparation, there have been plenty of topics the girls have found time to joke about. This week was full of hilarious commentary about everything from parachute pants to Pitch Perfect. Female celebs have also been chiming in with ways to prepare for Thanksgiving, that being tanning your turkey or enjoying a pumpkin spice latte. So join in on the festivities with these 140-character musings from our favorite funny ladies. And don't forget to follow TrèsSugar on Twitter!
Happy Thanksgiving! In the heart of the giving season, show your special someone how grateful you are through a sweet note or sentimental gift. With Thanksgiving meals hours away, here are 10 acts of gratitude that don't take a lot of time or cost a lot of money — many being DIYs! With a little creativity like a gratitude calendar or a homemade treat, those close to you can have a true sense of how thankful you are for them this holiday season.
This week was all about the 2012 presidential election, and there were plenty of funny tweets to be made (see the celebrity Twitter response here). Comedians like Joan Rivers had a blast joking about what careers benefit most from the time change (you'll have to click through to find out) and Chrissy Teigen poked fun at election results. In between the votes and winding back those clocks, other jokes lit up Twitter poking fun of anything and anyone these stars happened to encounter — yes, retainers and family members included. So kick-start your Friday celebrations early with these 140-character musings from our favorite funny ladies. And don't forget to follow TrèsSugar on Twitter!
Gifting for newlyweds is tough! With a wedding just behind them and plenty of serve ware spilling from their cabinets, the last thing they need is another mixing bowl! Although the holidays are still a few weeks away, it's never too early to start getting those gifts together — especially for those hard-to-buy-for newlyweds. With anything kitchen out of the picture, here's some gift-giving inspiration that ranges from a date night in to active adventures. With a gift for every price range and couple, here is the go-to guide to turn to this season when keeping the happy couple in mind.
Throughout the entire 2012 presidential election, the candidates have kept their leading ladies by their sides — and Election Day is no different! In the final push of this nail-biting election, both Romney and Obama still find time to keep the spark going and show affection to their wives. Last night, love was in the air as Michelle gave an emotional intro to Obama's final political campaign rally ever, and the president even shed some tears! This morning, Ann and Mitt were all smiles, showing some PDA at the polls as the couple cast their votes together. Side by side from the start, here are the most recent couples moments from the Obamas and the Romneys as the 2012 presidential campaign wraps up . . . aren't they cute!