It's always special to find out a friend is expecting, but when you have a lot of friends having babies, and you're on a budget or saving up for your own family, then finding the perfect gift for the little newborn can get expensive! But showing you care and giving a truly personal and standout gift doesn't have to break the bank. With a little searching and a few clicks, we gathered up totally unique baby shower gifts that any expectant mama would be thrilled to receive. Did we mention they are all under $20?
Gone are the days when you could spend hours playing with makeup at Sephora. It's hard enough to find a little alone time, let alone practice your former, pristine beauty rituals. Don't worry: you can still look your best with these six essentials. Just toss them in the diaper bag alongside the bottles and stay fresh-faced wherever you end up.
- Hair elastics: Sometimes mama just has to put her hair up and be done with it. If hair ties aren't already your newest wrist accessory, don't forget to pack a few in your diaper bag. Use them in an easy updo to switch up your look at a moment's notice.
- Multipurpose stick: Anything called "multipurpose" is a mother's dream. We absolutely cannot live without the NARS Multiple Stick ($39) for an easy, well-rested look. Try a neutral color like Maldives, and swipe the creamy formula on your cheeks, forehead, and lips for just the right amount of shimmer to achieve a healthy glow.
- Baby wipes: Since you're already carrying a pack of these for less glamorous reasons, put them to use beyond the changing table as makeup remover and freshening towelettes. They are far less expensive than beauty brand towelettes, and you'll always have them around to clean up a smudge and stay breakout free.
Need some back-to-school snacking inspiration? Pack snacks that will keep your child satisfied without the grumbles throughout the day. Peanut butter, our favorite all-American spread, is a source of healthy fats and plant-based protein, making it a nutritional powerhouse that goes well on just about anything. From classic favorites to a few new twists using this creamy spread, here are 10 snack solutions your little ones will go nuts for.
Inspired by back-to-school shopping and all the chalkboards in kids rooms on Pinterest, we think it's time to bring this functional accent home and allow our little rebels to write on the walls.
The options with this trend are endless: incorporate as little or as much as you want into your home or nursery. Our favorite part about this DIY is that it's something that both you and the kids will enjoy. Here are some useful tips and tricks to keep in mind before you get creative and chalk it up!
- Choose a place: Before you get going, choose where and how much to incorporate this bold, black accent into your space. If you love the trend, go big and paint an entire gallery wall in your nursery or playroom. If you'd rather use an accent piece, paint the surface of a craft table, the back of a door, or even a dresser, so your child knows where everything goes!
Sports are a great way for children to have fun, make friends, and learn lessons that also apply off the field. But it can be too easy for kids and parents alike to get caught up in hypercompetitiveness, especially on the heels of the Olympics excitement of the past few weeks.
Before you start fantasizing about signing day or gold-medal moments, teach your little athlete to enjoy the rewards that sports have to offer, at every level. Remember, it's just a game — and a growing opportunity! Here's how to be the encourager, not the coach, and let you and your child get the most enjoyment out of sports.
- Focus on fun: Fun is the first order of business for both you and your little tyke. This should be the biggest motivation for your child to stay in the game. Enjoy watching him improve, joining the pizza parties, and seeing him make new friends. If you remain lighthearted and appreciate your child's progress without getting too serious, then she can set her own goals and be accountable to herself for her achievements.
- Winning is NOT everything: Winning isn't everything, ever, especially when when your child is just starting out. Although beating a rival is thrilling, it won't make or break your kid's athletic career, so don't allow big wins to become the focus. Instead, focus on staying active, making improvements, and demonstrating sportsmanship throughout the season. Learning how to handle a loss is just as important as celebrating a win.
- For love of the game: Make sure your child is doing something she enjoys. Don't put her in a sport because you were a college track star or your carpool signed up. If your little one loves to climb everything in site, then maybe gymnastics is the perfect fit. If you haven't been able to get him out of the pool this Summer, then look into registering with a swim team. Be open to the idea of trying several sports before settling on just one.
- Dare to compare?: Yes, it is human nature, but do your best not to compare your child's potential to others. Factors like strength, ability, and coordination vary so much among children in their developmental years that it would be unfair to compare your child to his teammates, even in your head. Instead, help him set realistic goals within his own abilities that will challenge but not overwhelm him, keeping him interested without burning him out or discouraging him. It is important to want your child to be at his best, not the best.
Source: Flickr user Geomangio
With all the Olympic hype and inspiration, it's hard not to wonder if Olympians like Michael Phelps were raised in a pool and grew up loving sports from the start. Whether or not your think your little one is the next Phelps, channel your love for sports and have your babe rooting for your favorite team with these sports-inspired nursery picks, perfect for channeling your Olympic spirit and decorating with sportsmanship!
If you are sending your lil swimmer off to Summer league, swim camp, or even a day at the pool with friends, they will surely have a good time, but it will take a bag full of tricks to make sure they are safe and satisfied! Here is a list of gear to pack before your kiddo gets ready to dive right in this Summer.
- The basics: There is a lot more that goes into packing for the pool than your average play date. The basics like a suit, towel, swim shoes, goggles, and an extra change of clothes are of course, essential.
- Snacks: Spending all day splashing around will not only lead to a great nap, but will surely have the kids hungry. Packing light snacks (to avoid an upset stomach while swimming) such as crackers, granola, and some fruit will help curb their hunger. Sandwiches make for an easy and healthy lunch and don't forget to include a few bucks in case of an emergency or snack bar treat!
- Sun Protection: Having you kids apply sunscreen is always a battle, but it is of utmost importance! Lather them up with kid friendly sunscreen before they even head out the door and remind them of the need to reapply to avoid icky burns. Sunglasses and a hat will provide even more coverage.
- Toys: Have a little fun packing, sometimes leaving mom for the day is hard! Include your child's favorite swim toy or "comfort" item to help them break the ice if they are shy, or even encourage them to get into the water. Pack an inexpensive toy like these fish rings ($2) for a secret surprise to get them excited about the day ahead.
- Floaties: For any young swimmer, these are a must and will give them the extra confidence they need to jump right in. There are so many options, it's just a matter of choosing what your swimmer is comfortable in. Whether they are something playful like these Swimways Fishbite Floaties ($10) or a Power Swimr Suit ($19), floaters will offer you and your tot a sense of safety while playing in and around the pool.
Source: Flickr User Yatmandu
July for celebrity families was filled with tons of warm-weather outings, adventures, and even a few matching outfits! Many celebrities like Ben Affleck and his daughters were spotted vacationing across the globe in places like Puerto Rico, while others cooled off close to home. But let's not forget about the new kids on the block: Alessandra Ambrosio's newborn son, Noah, and Hilary Duff's adorable little Luca.
- The Olympics are underway! Get to know Paula Radcliffe and other Olympic athlete moms.
- Explore an impressive tree house reminiscent of Hogwarts.
- Planning a baby shower? Try one of these adorable themes.
- Everyone loves pasta! Try some of these quick and clever recipes that the kids will love.
- Celeb style: check out the killer fashion sense of these little ones.
- Take a tour of some cool dollhouses.
- Save money and be fashionable with one of these diaper bags.
- We all scream for ice cream and cute photos of kids enjoying the Summer treat.
- Head to one of these best US beaches for families on your next Summer getaway.
- Channel your lil one's inner artist and chef with this edible finger paint recipe.
Camila Alves is just starting to show off her bump with baby number three, but Matthew McConaughey is already planning on adding more tots to the family. The Magic Mike star appeared on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson last night to promote his latest flick and got into a discussion about large families with the host. The ever-sensitive dad says he'd love to have eight, or even a dozen, kids, but considering each baby takes his wife away for about two years — one year with pregnancy and another with breastfeeding — he may have to adjust that number. Take a look!
Let's get rugged! Nature-loving parents like to pack up the kids and take them on outdoor adventures. These mamas and papas don't mind all the extra effort that goes with collapsible accommodations. But we wanted to make the planning process easier for families, so we've compiled our ultimate guide to adventure. Check out these tips and tricks for camping while pregnant or with a baby from Kampgrounds of America and stylish finds for the woman who likes to look fab, not drab in the wilderness.
Navigating the aisles of a baby superstore can be cumbersome for parents-to-be, but knowing which items to cut costs on and those to invest in makes the task less daunting. From a safe crib to a firm infant mattress, there are a few goodies that are worth spending the majority of your budget on. Check out our slideshow for lil's favorite splurge worthy baby basics.
Marisa Miller Is the Latest Model Mom-to-Be! Check Out All of This Year's Pregnant Victoria's Secret Angels
Congratulations to former Victoria's Secret model and Sports Illustrated cover girl Marisa Miller, who recently announced her pregnancy to People magazine. The baby, due this Fall, will be the first for Miller and her husband of six years, record producer Griffin Guess. "My husband and I have always looked forward to starting a family, but also wanted to enjoy just being married," Miller said.
It's been three years since the last time Victoria's Secret experienced a baby boom, and now Miller joins Lily Aldridge and Adriana Lima as the remaining "expectant Angels." We'd love to know these model moms' secrets to looking runway-ready throughout their pregnancies!
Hollywood's filled with celebrity babies and kids, some of whom seem to be out and about with their parents on the regular, and some of whom are rarely spotted in public.
Since there's nothing sweeter than an involved dad doting on his children (except perhaps for one with movie star good looks . . . ), we've rounded up who we believe to be some of the very best celebrity dads from the worlds of moviemaking, journalism, music, and more. Who gets your vote as No. 1?
Source: INF Daily
Congratulations to Alyson Hannigan and Alexis Denisof, who welcomed daughter Keeva Jane Denisof on May 23, according to People. Keeva joins big sister Satyana in rounding off the Hannigan-Denisof clan of four.
For the past nine months, the second-time mama and actress has wowed us with her ability to transition seamlessly from playground parent to red-carpet glamazon with relative ease. The How I Met Your Mother and American Pie star always puts her role as mom to 3-year-old Satyana first and foremost and does so with style. In honor of the arrival of the family's new addition, we're taking a look back at Hannigan's fashionable pregnancy thus far.
When a woman gives birth in the movies, the doctor stands at her pelvis ready to guide the baby into his arms and there is nary an electronic or piece of equipment in sight. In real life, the labor and delivery room is filled with monitors and machines ready to go at a moment's notice.
Take our quiz and see just how familiar you are with these tools of the delivery trade.Take the Quiz
Friends and relatives wait and wait for the phone call, email, or text that announces a newborn's birth. And, despite lots of parents knowing the baby's sex in advance and some even choosing their infant's name before the debut, there are plenty of facts that inquiring minds want to know when it's time for the official announcement!
Here come the kids! Some couples opt for an adults-only bridal affair and others welcome the pitter-patter of little feet on their wedding day. Whether your lil one is playing a featured role in a wedding as flower girl or ring bearer, or you're just bringing the whole family to witness a couple's nuptials, here are some tips for keeping your children — and the bride — happy.
Timing is everything, and as anyone familiar with basic biology knows, marriage isn't a necessary prequel to pregnancy. While many modern parents — including plenty of celebs — eschew the traditional route of wedding bells before baby booties, there are at least as many who want to keep up appearances, at least for the sake of traditional grandparents or gossipy co-workers.
While it's impossible for expectant mamas to maintain the facade until they're full-term (with the exception of those inexplicable few who wind up on I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant), there are some ways to keep a pregnancy under wraps — at least for the first few months. Click through and check out these helpful tips that will allow you to share your baby news on your own terms.
Some of our favorite Hollywood families celebrated their leading ladies over the Mother's Day weekend. Honor and Haven Warren spent a sunny afternoon at their favorite LA park with Jessica Alba, and Charlotte Prinze joined Sarah Michelle Gellar for a stop at Starbucks. Violet and Seraphina Affleck shopped alongside Ben Affleck for something special to give Jennifer Garner while Flynn Bloom and Miranda Kerr traveled to Sydney together. Click through the slideshow to see all the photos from the weekend!