Who knew that baking soda had so many uses in the beauty world? It can be used as a cleaning product to get out tough household stains and to remove odors, but it's safe enough to use on your skin, hair, and teeth. The best part about these baking soda beauty recipes that the ingredients are accessible and inexpensive. Below are five different ways to incorporate baking soda into your beauty routine.
- Cleansing Shampoo: Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with your daily shampoo to help wash away build-up from hair products (this works exceptionally well on fine hair).
- Face Exfoliator: Mix a half a teaspoon of baking soda with your cleanser to make a scrub. Apply it to your damp skin by massaging in with small circles. Rinse and repeat if necessary. If you are trying to fight acne, you can also mix in one crushed aspirin (which contains bacteria-fighting salicylic acid).
- Hairbrush Cleanser: Plug your sink with lukewarm water and add in two or three tablespoons of baking soda. Soak your hairbrushes and combs in the mixture for a few minutes to remove residue. Rinse well and be sure and dry your brushes and combs completely.
For the last two quick and easy baking soda beauty treatments, read more.
- Tooth Whitener: If you are trying to brighten up your smile, brush your teeth with baking soda for two minutes. You might want to gargle with mouthwash after. I'm not going to lie, the taste is not the best, but it works!
- Cuticle Softener: A pinch of baking soda can be added to a bowl of warm water to help soften your cuticles. Let your hands soak in the water for a few minutes before rinsing them off thoroughly.