As a child, Natalie Wood made her way onto the silver screen as the little girl in Miracle on 34th Street. Surmounting a troubled childhood that included an abusive alcoholic father and an overbearing stage mother, Wood managed to make the transition into more mature roles in films such as Rebel Without a Cause and West Side Story.
Her chestnut bob, thick, dark brows, and wide, toothy smile afforded her the role as Hollywood's all-American girl next door. Unintimidated by Hollywood's conservative take on celebrity back in those days, Wood quickly became known for dating many male actors who were rumored to be gay in order to stir up controversy and garner attention for her upcoming roles.
To find out how to duplicate her fresh-faced, all-American look,
- Natalie was known for her coiffed bob and wispy bangs. If you're interested in resurrecting this '50s style, roll your hair in jumbo hot rollers, brush the ends lightly so they flip out, and lightly tease the crown. Set with a generous misting of medium hold hairspray, like Fekkai Sheer Hold Hairspray($23).
- The most stunning part of Natalie's look are her big, dark, natural brows. Lucky for us, this look is back in style — so stop over-tweezing those brows, stat! If your brows are naturally full, just brush them upwards with a sweep of tinted brow gel, like this Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel ($19). If they are on the sparse side, lightly fill them in with a brow pencil, and finish by brushing them upwards with a clear brow gel.
- Natalie's freckles are part of what make her look so innocent and approachable, so if you have them, embrace them.
- Get the most from your lashes using this trick: apply a generous coat of jet black mascara, then gently tap some loose powder onto the lashes while it's still wet. Wait a few seconds for them to partially dry, then apply another generous coat. The result will be the fullest, plumpest lashes imaginable.
- Slick on a color of matte lipstick close to the natural shade of your lips for a clean and simple finish to this look. Try L'Oreal Endless Lipcolor in Really Rose ($10).