Beth Ditto is the lead singer of The Gossip, a Portland-based band that fuses punk and soul. (The girl can sing.) In Britain, she's so popular that she has her own column in The Guardian called What Would Beth Ditto Do? She's an outspoken feminist who happens to love hair and makeup. "To me, a day without makeup and a bouffant to match is a day wasted," she's said.
In a recent column, she tackled the dilemma of being a huge beauty junkie who wants to be eco-conscious. Her straightforward tips are easy to incorporate into your shopping routine. Take a look:
- Find out which companies have a recycling program. Ditto points out MAC's excellent one, which gives you a free lipstick or lip gloss if you return six containers. I agree with her when she says it's a good time to try an unusual color. "If you are anything like me—unwilling to take risks and spend £10 on a crazy bright orange or electric pink—it's all gravy," she says.
For more of Beth's advice, read more
- Buy soap rather than body wash that comes in bottles. Less packaging means less waste.
- Beth makes her own perfume formulations using essential oils. "Granny Ditto always referred to perfume as 'smell good' and for me it's an essential," she says.
- "When it comes to hair colour, I have just three words for you: henna, henna and henna."
- This one won't appeal to design fans, but it does make sense: Reuse plastic containers. Beth mixes her essential oils with water, then puts them in a spray bottle—making it a low-cost "atomiser."