There's a lot to snicker about in this local-news report on the dangers of waxing. The sound effects and video treatments are ubercheesy, and the alarmist nature of the reporting is a bit much. But still, it's worth watching, if only to be reminded of the potential hazards of sketchy waxing places.
A woman named Shannon Boruch went to a strip-mall salon to have her eyebrows waxed; the next day, she woke up to find her face swollen. Turns out, she had an abscess over her left eye. Doctors drained it, but the infection spread. Eventually, doctors were able to treat the infection, but Boruch retains a small scar from the incident. (To be fair, a doctor says that the bacteria could have come from anywhere, and the infection may or may not have been a result of the waxing.)
So what should you look for if you're going to get waxed? Here are three of my tips:
- Make sure the esthetician is licensed. Should be a no-brainer, but don't let someone near your skin if she isn't properly trained and licensed.
- Don't double dip the stick. Each Popsicle stick should be dipped into the wax only once, then disposed of. Otherwise, your germs mix in with everyone else's in a bacteria-laden pool of hot wax. Not good.
- Do judge a book by its cover. If a salon looks skeevy or doesn't smell right, keep on walking.
Any other suggestions on assessing a salon or spa's safety levels?