While most of you think that matching your lipstick to your nail polish is OK, how to you feel about matching your lipstick to your dress? At the Adventureland premiere, actress Kristen Stewart went full out with a coral Herve Leger striped dress and a similarly-hued lipstick. At last night's Mysteries of Pittsburgh premiere, Sienna Miller opted for an orange-based red dress with an almost identical lipstick.
For tips on how to pull of this look with ease,
- Don't go overboard: Being matchy-matchy can look dated. If you choose to coordinate your lipstick and dress, don't follow suit with the same nail polish color.
- Skin tone: If you're going for this monochromatic look, take into consideration your underlying skin tones to avoid a washed-out look. Don't know if you're a warm or a cool? Take my undertones quiz to find out.
- Tone it down: Unless your dress and lipstick are lighter in color, keep your eye makeup simple as not to compete with your bold dress and lips.
- Mix it up: If you're trying to match a bold color, it can look tacky if the lipstick is unintentionally off. Experiment with whatever you have to get it right. Think Scarlett Johansson's perfectly blended tomato-red lipstick.
- If you're leery of the one-shade look: Get the effect of matching tones by coordinating your lipstick with an accessory for an unexpected pop of color.