The 20-minute treatment starts by having a specially trained esthetician curl and prime the lashes. Long-lasting mascara is then applied, and special tools are used to shape and separate. All in all I really liked the results, which lasted two weeks (as guaranteed), but first, let's start with things I wasn't crazy about.
- CryBaby promises it won't chip or flake, but I did have a few tiny particles slough off toward the end.
- Essentially the curl created during the service is pretty much locked in, so even if you want more of it, that's not going to happen. Warning: you can actually risk damage if you use an eyelash curler.
- While prices will vary by location, getting long-wearing mascara comes at a cost. It's $75 at Stript, but not having to remove or apply mascara at all for about 14 days was admittedly a real treat.
- The coating is indeed water- and smudge-proof. Over the course of two weeks, I swam, cried, sweated, and even pulled an all-nighter, and after each activity I had none of the smeary, smudgy results I normally would, even from waterproof mascara.
- The color of the mascara was deep and rich (especially during the first week), and the lashes looked thicker. In fact, friends and co-workers thought I was just wearing regular old mascara.
- The care was easy. To keep the product from breaking down, all you have to do is keep emollients away from the lashes.
- I never had to apply extra mascara — at all. While you can use nonwaterproof mascara on top of the CryBaby, why bother? It's not really needed, except perhaps at the very, very end as the formula wears off.
- My lashes were not damaged in the process. Many people complain of lash loss with extensions, and those who get lash tinting complain that it doesn't actually thicken or curl the lashes. With CryBaby you do get the thickening, darkening, and curling benefits (although not the lengthening) without compromising your fringe.
- Because it's so low maintenance, it's perfect for vacation, weddings, or special occasions. So if you have a big event coming up and have the extra dough, this semipermanent lash enhancer is worth a try.