Maybe you've heard of glucosamine before — something to do with arthritis, you think. Well, you're right, but there's a bit more to it than that.
Occurring naturally in the body, this little compound is composed of glucose and an amino acid called glutamine. Essential for the production of a molecule that helps repair cartilage, glucosamine also works wonders as an ingredient in anti-aging skin care products.
Since the amount of glucosamine production tapers off as we age (jeers), it's often used as a supplement for the relief of arthritis (cheers). Just as glucosamine promotes connective tissue regrowth in the joints, it also promotes tissue regrowth in the skin.
Used in skin care products, glucosamine encourages production of collagen, improving elasticity, making skin look smoother, firmer, and plumper. Another benefit? It also has somewhat of an exfoliating effect, reducing the appearance of age spots, sun spots, and hyperpigmentation. I'm all for that.
Skin revitalization doesn't always come cheap. For a list of products with glucosamine,
- Murad Age Reform Essentials Kit ($87.50).
- Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher ($46.50 to $120).
- Dr. Varon's Night Firming Cream with Glucosamin-K ($20).
- Olay's line of Definity products ($9.50 to $30).
- CoverGirl Advanced Radiance Restorative Cream Foundation ($11).
- Pur Minerals Skin Perfecting Serum ($32).
- Sea Results Anti-Wrinkle Refinishing Serum ($56).