Diane Kruger's style never disappoints. She's like the girl you admire from afar and want to befriend because she's just that cool. At yesterday's Tommy Hilfiger show, Kruger sported a casually trendy side-swept ponytail with a twist — literally. While we've seen versions of this look just about everywhere lately, her shorter style gives it an effortlessly chic (and sassy) look. For a how-to on achieving this fashionably laid-back style, check out my instructions below:
- Blow-dry hair and apply a light/medium hold shine gel like Aveda Brilliant Retexturing Gel ($6 to $16) when your hair is about 80 percent dry. Continue drying using a brush to create texture.
- Part your hair to one side (left or right — you choose). Next separate your fringe area. Do this by taking a chunk of hair from the parted side that has more hair, starting at your hairline, and going about two to three inches (right around your ear area). The hair you are gathering now is the hair that will be twisted later, so make sure you have a decent amount. Repeat this step on the lighter side of the part.
- Pull remaining hair back into a low-slung ponytail on the opposite side of your part. So, if you parted your hair on the left side, sling the ponytail back to the right.
- Now we twist. Take one fringe section at a time (leaving a few pieces out to frame your face) and lightly roll back into your ponytail. Affix the rolls to your existing ponytail with an elastic band or bobby pins in a color that matches your hair such as Scunci Bobby-Pins ($1.90 to $2.10) in blonde, brown/black, or auburn. Pin any loose pieces on into the twist, if needed.
- Finishing touches: Use your fingers to soften any hard edges. Finish off with a light/medium hold hair spray.
For the rest of the instructions,