If you make frequent stops on the Bella train, then you'll know that I'm all about safe sunning — which means no tanning at all. But that doesn't mean you have to lose the look of a day at the beach. While I love the benefits of a self-tanner, sometimes I don't want to deal with the smell of DHA combining with my skin's chemistry or the affliction of streak-mania all over my body. So, I've come up with a few tricks to fake a tan, all without the sunburn or chemical reaction. Check them out when you read more.
- Insta-perk: For an instant perk-me-up, a creamy bronzer gives the best fresh-faced glow. These days, I've been very into Maybelline Dream Mousse Bronzer in Sun Glow ($6), a slightly shimmering warm rosy brown. Just apply where the sun would hit by making an "E" shape along the hairline, into the cheeks, and over the jawline. A small amount on the brow bones and down the nose complete the luminous effect.
- Orange you looking tan: All I am saying is give orange a chance — or at least peach. I'm digging Revolution Organics Beauty Balm in Sunkissed ($32), an eco-friendly peachy-toned stick that gives lips, cheeks, and eyes a natural, dewy glow.
- Triple the fun: Another multitasker but in a different way. To fake a suntan, go with a blush/bronzer/eye shadow combo that has at least three tones: a light tan, rosy pink, and warm brown. Swirl all of the colors together and apply to the in an "E" motion. Next, apply the lightest shade as a base on your lids, up to the brow bone. Use the rosy shade on the lids and seamlessly blend the darkest shade on the crease. This creates a natural, kissed-by-the-sun look. Try Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips in Malibu Strip Pink Sand Bronzer ($8) or Aveda Face Accents in Bronze Glow ($20).
- Hot pink gloss: Mimic the look of sunned lips with a bright raspberry-toned gloss, such as MAC Tricolor Lip Glass in Tasty ($17.50).
- Make a mix: Blend a bronze accent cream with your favorite lotion for an easy wash-away tan. I also like to lightly dunk these type of bronzers on their own on the tips of a complexion brush, stippling onto the "E" zone. Try Bonne Bell Gel Bronze Sheer Translucent Color in Golden Tan ($4) or Aveda Shimmer Accents in Terrastone ($21.50). You'll be a bronzed babe in a flash.