After chatting with Posh's colorist, Johnny Ramirez, I learned he is a mayjah proponent of soft and natural looks. With high-profile clients such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Mariska Hargitay, and Hilary Swank, it's clear to see that Ramirez's take on hair color certainly lives up to this simply sophisticated approach. Take a look at his tips for having beautiful color.
- Pack in the color: After coloring a client, Ramirez coats the hair from the outside with a gloss. "It stays really, really soft and pretty," he says. "This makes the color stay for a long time."
- Get a conditioning treatment: "I do Kérastase conditioning treatments afterwards to everyone that walks out of my chair," he says. "When they are due to come back for their color or highlights, their hair is always thick and healthy."
For what not to do,
- Get big streaks: "Chunks are out. Anything with chunks."
- Too-dark or too-light colors: For Posh's color, Ramirez went natural. "We kept it a soft chestnut brown for the winter because in the winter we also go a little more pale," he said. "Harsh colors can look frumpy, like you are trying too hard."
- Punky colors: Keep it age-appropriate. "When you are 18 you can pull off anything, but when you get older, certain colors don't work anymore."
Photo courtesy of Johnny Ramirez