- Avoid flat-ironing wet hair: Unless you specifically have a wet-to-dry iron, never iron wet hair.
- Don't use heat-protecting products as your crutch: "Heat defense sprays are not a magic potion. They do reduce the damage, but the hair will still be affected if you use straighteners every day," Sallis tells the Daily Mail.
- Switch to satin or silk pillowcases: They don't absorb moisture like cotton, and because they're smoother, they don't snag hair as much.
- Trim more than you normally would: Giving yourself a tiny trim every month will help prevent split ends if you're committed to everyday straightening.
- Use a natural bristle brush: Metal and plastic pins tend to be more aggressive on hair.