Ellen Sirot is one of the most in-demand models in the business, but you probably wouldn't recognize her face. That's because Sirot is a parts model, using her hands, legs, and feet to land clients including Clinique, Maybelline, Estee Lauder, and Elizabeth Arden. (And that's only a minuscule sampling of the thousands of jobs she's done!) Her new line of hand-care treatments, Hand Perfection, was developed after years of caring for her own money-making mitts. And though you already know this, the best measure of someone's age is her hand condition — so if you want to avoid age spots and discoloration tomorrow, take care of your hands today. Want her best advice for having healthy, beautiful digits? For nine tips,
Ellen Sirot's Top Tips for Keeping Your Hands Beautiful
- Minimize hand washing. Water dehydrates your hands. Wash when needed — but consider using household gloves for situations such as dish washing, household projects, etc. — so you don’t have to wash your hands so many times per day.
- Minimize use of dehydrating soaps/bacterial gels. I realize we live in a germy world, but these gels seriously dry out the skin, causing irritation and ultimately skin aging. Hand Perfection Moisturizing Cleanser is a gentle, sulfate-free, coconut-based cleanser — so it actually keeps your hands hydrated while cleansing.
- Moisturize your hands every single time you wash them. After washing your hands (minimally), gently pat them dry and apply moisturizer while your skin is still damp to lock in moisture. And do this periodically throughout the day. (Must to remember to do it. It's kind of like putting on lip gloss!)
- Keep your hands protected from the sun. Always use sunscreen when going outside and get extra protection by wearing my Hand Perfection Glovettes — which are great to use while driving, playing golf, tennis — and make a bit of a fashion statement to boot!
- Apply oil to cuticles each night and gently push them back, while soft and supple, in the shower. I do this with a washcloth each day — and it helps discourage the need to cut them, which is never a good idea, except for the occasional errant piece of skin.
- Apply a rich moisturizer at night. Capitalize on circadian rhythms to give your hands an overnight boost while they are not in use!
- Exfoliate once a week. Hand Perfection Night Solution will accomplish this, or you can use an organic sugar and olive oil scrub once a week.
- Take off polish after seven days. Give your nails a few days to revive and be bare.
- Strive to have hands/nails that look good naked! That provides the most options for wearing polish or not.
That's the word from the world's most in-demand parts model. Any tips or tricks that have worked for you?