The third season of Mad Men is set to premiere on Aug. 16, and the show's stars were out to celebrate last night in LA. Normally, we see Christina Hendricks's character, Joan Holloway, decked out in some vivid colors on the show. In real life, Christina keeps the technicolor shades toned down, typically choosing a flattering, peaches-and-cream glow on her cheeks and lips.
To complement the warm tones, the actress goes for a slightly smoky eye with both shimmer and dimension. Do you like her subtly dramatic eye makeup? Find out how to copy her style now.
- Using a deep black liner, like Physician's Formula Eyeliner Pencil in Ultra Black ($6), heavily line the "outer v" of the eyes. Next, lightly use the pencil to enhance the waterline of the upper and lower lash lines.
- Create a base on the lids with a soft peach shadow such as Maybelline Cool Effect Cooling Shadow/Liner in Peach Daiquiri ($4.70).
- Apply a medium- to darker-toned peach shadow on the crease, focusing the application along the outer part of the lid, just under the brow bone. Try Aveda Single Eye Color in Chocolate Flower ($12).
- To add the smoky depth, apply a gray shadow, like Maybelline Expertwear Duo Eyeshadow in Grey Matters ($3.60) over the black liner on the outer corner of the upper lash line, and smudge upward. Lightly tap in the shadow on the outer corner of the lower lash line to blend.
- To create an eye-opening effect, add a light-toned shimmery shadow on the top and bottom "inner v's," like Bare Escentuals Eye Color in Skinny Dip ($13).