Taraji's style at the Oscars reminds me that the cut itself is the basis for any great look. Her asymmetrical, layered bob provides the foundation and her hairstylist, Dante Blandshaw, walks us through the steps for yesterday's 'do. Personally, I prefer this straighter version (to her bumped under Independent Spirit Awards choice) so check out the products and steps below.
- To soften textured hair like Taraji's, prepare hair with Damage Control to protect from breakage and thermal damage.
- Blow-dry hair straight with a paddle brush and add a dime-sized amount of Universal Styling Creme for added shine.
- Flat-iron first, then use 1.5-inch and two-inch barrel irons to give volume at the roots and bend at the ends — don't overly curl! — to accentuate layers in a cut like this.
- Slightly curl the front to create a soft, side-swept bang for added height and fullness.
- Finish by combing with a wide-tooth comb and lock in the style with a lightweight hairspray (such as Aveda Air Control).