- Get in touch with your skin: "No one needs anyone else to tell them their skin type," says Kramer. "Look in the mirror, feel your skin. I promise, you need no pro to tell you what you already know."
- Take a stroll down memory lane: Think back to products you've used before, noting what it was about them you didn't like.
- See the whole package: "Consider how a product is packaged and what the ingredients are inside." Do you prefer glass or plastic bottles? Are you partial to pumps? Are you partial to natural ingredients?
- Be sensitive: "If you have allergies or sensitivities to a specific ingredient(s), make sure you investigate labels before you buy," recommends Kramer. And even though a product says it's free of fragrances or preservatives, it's still wise to double-check first before you make the purchase.
- Know your (time) limits: Ask yourself how much time is practical for your daily routine. Remember, adds Kramer, "We really only need three to four steps for great skin."
Image Source: Thinkstock