Polls, schmolls — my guess is that many of us will be biting our nails tomorrow right until the moment the election results are in. If campaign drama has you stressed, preemptively create an environment where you're able to relax while the numbers roll in. Switch on some NPR, home of the soothingly voiced announcers, and eliminate as much of the stress as possible. For five tips on pampering yourself while you wait for results,
- Get a candle with a relaxing scent like sage, bergamot, lemon, vanilla or lavender. I like Slatkin & Co.'s Clean Mist ($9.50), which balances bergamot with citrus and rose scents.
- Use a warm aromatherapy neck pillow to treat the stressed neck-shoulder area. You might feel a little silly using it, but Earth Therapeutics Anti-Stress Microwaveable Neck Pillow ($12.70), which has lavender and chamomile, should calm you down.
- I don't knit, but I do know how to make friendship bracelets, which at least is something to do with my hands besides eat and bite my nails. When I don't have any friends left to decorate, I'll slather on calming lotion like L'Occitane Lavender Hand Cream.
- It may be kind of old school, but Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea always takes the edge off. (So does a stiff drink, but if the returns take a few hours, you might do better with the tea.)
- When you decide to turn in, try a relaxing bath. Or use a bath product as a shower gel to get the same benefits without taking the time to soak. Aveeno Stress Relief Foaming Bath has chamomile and ylang ylang oil to soothe skin.