Like many of you, I am a faithful watcher of America's Next Top Model. Even if it hasn't produced any actual supermodels—as Bravo's upcoming model search is trying to do—it's an entertaining show. Now, some of the "advice" Tyra gives makes me roll my eyes, mostly because it's made more dramatic for TV. But one thing Tyra is right about is the importance of looking simple and makeup-free on go-sees.
Remember Natasha—er, "Nata"—from last season? She has signed with Muse, an agency in New York, and her first photographs are coming out. Compare the simple look she's sporting in the Polaroid with the glammed-up "after" makeover shot from ANTM (which, frankly, is too DeBarge for my taste). I think she looks fresher in the T-shirt shot—more "working model" than "aspiring model."
Now, Natasha is probably wearing some makeup in these new Polaroids, but the reason she looks good is that the makeup and hair isn't over the top. To find out how to get this clean, fresh, "no-makeup" model look,
- Hair: Tyra is right: To look like a model, wear your hair in a simple ponytail, or let it swing naturally. One thing I like about Natasha's new hair color is that it looks natural, but she has a few subtle highlights woven in near her face. This softens the look.
- Skin: If you look closely, you'll see that Natasha's freckles show through, but you don't see any undereye circles. She's probably wearing concealer and a tinted moisturizer. Get the look by dabbing—not smearing—concealer over dark circles and any blemishes, then using a tinted moisturizer like Stila illuminating tinted moisturizer spf 15 to even out skin tone. Or, to save money, just add a few drops of foundation to your everyday facial moisturizer. Either way, your skin shouldn't be hidden.
- Eyes: A coat or two of black mascara is all you need. If you're a blonde or a redhead, use brownish black mascara for a more subtle look.
- Eyebrows: Modern brows are full but groomed. It looks as though Natasha probably has done some very subtle "filling in" of her brows. You can get the same look at home easily with a brow gel, such as Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel.
- Lips: Barely-there color is the name of the game. Look for a lip balm with a light and sheer color tint, such as Tarte 24/7 Lip Sheer.
So what do you think? Will we see Nata on the runways? I think she's very pretty and she's got a great personality, but the reality-TV curse is going to be hard to beat.