I really love how pretty Sarah Michelle Gellar looked at her recent appearance at Harrods. She looks soft, fresh and polished—and totally appropriate for a daytime appearance. For step-by-step instructions for recreating her makeup look at home,
- Step One: Apply a light primer on the face. Shiseido Brightening Veil ($32) contains SPF, and it helps give skin a dewy finish.
- Step Two: You can see a couple of Sarah's freckles here, so don't use a heavy foundation; the idea is to illuminate your skin, not paint over it. Cover any blemishes with concealer; lately I've really enjoyed using wand concealers such as Automatic Concealer from Sue Devitt. Then, use a sheer-to-medium coverage foundation to even out skin tone. I like Vincent Longo Water Canvas ($52.50) because it's light, but Almay makes a less expensive foundation that's similarly easy to apply.
- Step Three: Use a cream blush on the apples of your cheeks. MAC's Cream Colour Base in Hush ($16.50) adds warmth (and, as a bonus, has the same name of the only Buffy episode to receive an Emmy nomination).
- Step Four: Using an eye shadow brush, sweep a dark mauve shadow on lids. Then, sweep a shimmery pinky-champagne shadow on lids just underneath the brow bone, gently blending it downward into the mauve shadow. Clinique's Colour Surge duo in Mochaberry ($17.50) does the trick. (If you want a more dramatic eye, try applying the shadow with a damp brush.)
- Step Five: Line the upper lids with a thin application of black liquid eyeliner, such as Rimmel Get In Line ($5.99). Follow by curling upper eyelashes (click here for instructions) and swiping black mascara on them to set.
- Step Six:Well-groomed brows are essential to Sarah's look. Brush your eyebrows upward and go over them with a brow powder to fill in any gaps. If you're really serious, use a clear brow mascara or a light wax to hold the shape. The Anastasia Brows in Bloom kit ($28) has the powder, wax, an angled brush for application, and a highlighter—pretty much everything you'd need to get Sarah's brows.
- Step Seven:Lips are glossy but richly hued; Sarah's wearing a nude lip liner, but unless you're going to be photographed in front of hundreds of people, you could probably skip it. Instead, go for a high-shine, opaque gloss in a sparkly mauve, such as MAC Lip Varnish in Cute Yet Sexy ($14). An apropos name for SMG's look, wouldn't you say?