- Chad Hayduk of Three Custom Color Specialists says to avoid matte or long-wearing lip color. "They have fewer moisturizing ingredients and can dry the lips," he says. "Instead, choose a lip gloss or moisturizing sheer lipstick." He recommends Simply Beautiful Sheer Lipstick ($21.50).
- Check the ingredients on your lip balm. Menthol, camphor, and salicylic acid are in many lip-healing treatments, but they dry lips out further.
- If you don't have a good balm, use your under-eye cream on your lips, let it set, and then put the lipstick over that. Your lipstick will go on smoother and your lips will look fuller.
- Skip the lip liner; it may keep your color in place, but it's also incredibly drying.
- Use a moisturizing lipstick primer, like Pop Beauty Lip Magnet Primer ($15). Primers fill in fine lines, protect lips, smooth things out, and keep your color on longer.