- Just chill: Apply a cold compress to the affected area as soon as possible, which will help reduce bruising and swelling. You can also freeze a spoon for about five to 10 minutes and press directly onto the hickey, repeating the process as needed.
- You're hot: After about two days, if the hickey is still visible, apply a warm compress to the area. This will help to smooth out the skin and draw new blood into the discolored area.
- Natural route: Try arnica, which helps to alleviate bruising by stimulating circulation.
- Raid the junk drawer: Folk remedies suggest using a comb, toothbrush, or coin to break up the clotting, but are these methods merely urban legends? If you've ever tried any of them, I'm curious to know about the outcome.
- Master of disguise: When all else fails, you can always go the route of wearing a turtleneck or scarf, when truly desperate, you can just lie and say you had an accidental run-in with your curling iron. Hey, it could work.