This week, FabSugar is paying tribute to the trendsetting fashion of "The OC," so I thought I'd join the party with a few posts about the notable hair and beauty looks featured on the indulgent SoCal teen drama. With their side ponytails, long locks, and flawlessly fresh makeup, the "OC" girls always managed to look pulled together and cutting edge.
First up: Mischa Barton's soft wavy style from the show's first season. Not only is Barton blessed with a hell of a body and a gorgeous face, but she's also got great hair: It's not too flat or too curly, and it looks great long whether it's styled wavy or straight.
It's easy to re-create this hairstyle at home, so to find out how
- Shampoo and condition your hair like usual and then towel dry. Brush hair, set your part, and work a small palm-full of volumizing mousse like Kerastase Mousse Volumactive from the roots to the ends.
- Blow dry your hair straight so that the cuticles are nice and smooth. Next, section your hair into about eight even parts and secure them with hair clips.
- Beginning with undermost layers, take a large barreled curling iron (about 1-1/4-inch) and set it on medium to low heat. Don't open the curling iron — you will get frayed and harsh ends — but instead, wrap your section of hair around the barrel and let it sit for about seven seconds. Repeat this for each section.
- When you are finished, you will be left with ringlets. You'll be temped to brush your hair out, but don't! Instead, flip your head over, shake out your hair, flip it back, and gently finger the curls to relax them into waves.
- Reset your part gently and then use a light- to medium-hold hairspray to set your hair. If you have bangs, your can brush them lightly to one side so that they blend into the waves, and then spray that area a little bit more heavily than the rest of your hair.