According to the Epsom Salt Council (yes, it exists!), there are many beauty benefits to Epsom salts, aka magnesium sulfate, as it's known in the world of science. So before you dismiss that unassuming milk-carton-like box at the drugstore, here are five reasons you might want to give these soothing salts a whirl.
- As a hair volumizer: Much like sea salt sprays give hair body, Epsom salts help boost texture, too. Who knew?
- As a stress reducer: These salts aid in replenishing magnesium in the body, which can make energy levels increase. Which, in turn, can make you look better. A lift in magnesium also relieves stress, increasing serotonin levels and lowering blood pressure. It's a win all around.
- As a rejuvenating body scrub: Not only do the salts deep clean, but massaging handfuls of the crystals on premoistened skin can result in an exfoliating experience.
- As an mini facial experience: To help dry out oily skin and invigorate all other skin types, mix 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salts with your face cleanser, and then massage for a mini facial.
- As a skin-softening mask: For normal to dry skin, whip up a three-ingredient facial mask: blend 1/4 cup grated carrot, 1/2 teaspoon Epsom salts, and 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise. Spread over predampened skin, wait 10 minutes, and remove.