Choosing a color for your skin tone:
- For fair or pale skin: With lighter skin tones, avoid beige lipsticks, which will wash you out. Instead, look to soft pinks and peaches or pale apricot as your base shade.
- For the golden girls: If you have lots of golden undertones in your skin, go for creamy, caramel-toned nudes and warm beiges. Avoid anything too cool, like grays or silver-toned shades.
- For olive tones: If you have olive skin, you're a lucky gal. Just about any nude shade will look great on you from beige to bronze to pinks.
- For skin with yellow undertones: Think light, creamy-toned beiges like latte or mocha.
- For dark-toned skin: Go for chocolate tones such as rich golden browns and coffees.
Other things to consider:
- Exfoliate: Prep the lips before applying a nude tone to create a smooth surface.
- Afraid your nude shade will look flat?: Consider wearing a semimatte lipstick for a slightly glossy finish.
- For the cheeks: First dust on a tawny bronzer and then add a pink or peach cream blush to brighten the face.
- Emphas-eyes: If a chocolate-brown or smoldering gray-toned smoky eye isn't your thing, try a black eyeliner with light shadow instead. Play up your eyes even more by creating emphasis on the brows.
- By all means: Avoid frosty finishes.