- Lite-Brite: As a general rule, the darker the skin, the brighter you can go with the shade. The lighter the skin, the lighter you can go. However, avoid choosing too light of a shade, which can wash you out.
- Green-Eyed Girls: Purple-based shadows make green eyes pop. Lavender, lilac, violet, mauve, and plum are all perfect options. A subtle pinkish-purple will help to bring out the gold tones in green and hazel eyes.
- Don't Feel Left Out: Due to the yellowy-orange undertones that brown-eyed girls have, purple shadow creates a beautiful contrasting option. For those with blue eyes, go for a purple shadow with bronze or brown undertones.
- Don't Take the Red Eye: Avoid reddish purples or purples with intense pink undertones, which can cause an unwanted I-haven't-slept-in-days effect.
- Light-Handed: To prevent a garish look, keep your application light. Think more along the lines of a sheer wash of color.
- Afraid of the Purple?: Opt for a fun purple liner instead, like Victoria's Secret Liquid Glitter Liner in Plumburst ($7). For a more refined look, try MAC Technakohl Eyeliner in Purple Dash ($14.50), a beautiful aubergine, or Victoria's Secret Mascara in Violight ($7).
- The Rest of Your Makeup: When wearing purple, keep the rest of your makeup in the same color family. Avoid extreme lips and warm-toned bronzer for the most flattering finish.
Image Source: WireImage