This New Year's Eve, I'm planning on doing a super low-key gathering with some friends since I have to I have to catch a flight the next day. Plane ride plus hangover? No thanks. It is the new year after all, and that means it's a shimmer celebration.
Just like you'll be sure to "know when to say when" when it comes to boozy drinks tonight, you'll know "when to say when" when it comes to the sparkly goodness of shimmer with my tips below. Keep in mind that rules are meant to be broken, and makeup should always be expressive. But, for the most flattering look — pick one (two, tops) feature to add shimmer to, such as lips, eyes, cheeks, body, and/or complexion, and roll with it.
- Shimmer or glitter?: Glitter is the more amped-up version of shimmer. While glitter is OK in small, small doses — like a sweep of Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner ($18) paired with a soft eyeshadow — it can look too Hot Topic when heavily applied.
- Family jewels: When wearing sparkly cosmetics, keep your jewelry to a minimum. You don't want your fabulous face competing with your ginormous sparkly earrings.
- Body glow: For some overall brightening, apply a shimmering lotion to your arms, legs, and/or décolleté. Try Jergens Soft Shimmer Skin Radiance Moisturizer ($5.12). You can also make your own by mixing a shimmery product with your body cream.
To see the rest,
- Bronzed goddess: Sweep a shimmering bronzer on your forehead, cheeks, and jawline in a "3" motion for a sexy, healthy glow. Try Jane Shimmering Powder ($4.19), and then add a pop of blush on the apples of your cheeks.
- Highlight: To brighten up your face, apply a highlighter on the inner corners of the eyes, the upper cheekbones, and the brow bone. I like Aveda Shimmer Accents ($21.50), which are light enough to mix with your foundation or moisturizer.
- Nail it: Butter London's Lacquer Duo Holiday Set ($20) has just the right amount of holiday pizazz.
- Shiny lips: If you're not feeling shimmer on the body or face, why not apply a some sparkly gloss on top of your lipstick? Try Stila Silk Shimmer Gloss ($22), which is inspired by its famous eyeshadow shade, Kitten. Me-ow.