To celebrate Earth Day, we've invited Josie Maran to write this guest blog. The model, actress, and environmental activist has her own line of eco-friendly cosmetics, Josie Maran Cosmetics, and she's sharing some easy ways to do good for Mother Earth — while looking good, too. Take it away, Josie:
Healthy makeup would have seemed like a chore a few years ago. But now effective and healthy go together, and you don't have to choose one over the other. There have been some amazing advances in green chemistry that allow people to have amazing alternatives.
How To "Green" Your Beauty Bag
1. The first step is looking around your house for a bag you can reuse and turn into your "new" makeup bag. Even re-using an old makeup bag that isn't "organic" is actually the best thing you can do for the environment. Reduce, reuse, recycle.
2. Read your labels and keep the dirty dozen out of your makeup.
3. Less is more. Look for products that are multi-functional — or as I like to say, "multi-talented."
For Josie's favorite makeup items,
- Face: I love the Josie Maran tinted moisturizer because it is a three-in-one product. it has my signature ingredient 100% organic argan oil for moisturizing and repairing, it has the perfect amount of coverage, and it is a sunblock (SPF 30) all in one.
- Cheeks: Lipstick can be used on lips and cheeks. Or look for creamy palettes that can be used on eyes, cheeks or lips. Try Josie Maran Finger Paints.
- Eyes: Throw in an eye liner and mascara.
- Lips: Pretty lip gloss and you're ready to go.
Remember, you have to feel good to look good — so take care of yourself!