It's pretty safe to say that last night's 2009 MTV VMAs were one of the most entertaining in recent history. You had your Kanye outburst, Pink's Cirque du Soleil-style act, Lady Gaga's bloody performance, and cast members from Twilight taking the stage to premiere the New Moon trailer. (And in case you didn't hear the buzz, it was also a night for Kristen Stewart to cozy up with costar Robert Pattinson backstage.) At first, it looked like Kristen had chopped her Joan Jett-esque locks, but alas, it was just the mastery of Pantene celebrity stylist Hallie Bowman, who created this edgy, faux-bowl-cut style with a modern feel. Now, I know many of you might not be fans of the throwback look, but if you're bored with your style and don't want to cut several inches to achieve a new look, this technique might just work for you.To find out what magic Bowman performed on Kristen, read more.
- Bowman first trimmed Kristen's bangs to achieve that rounded look in the front.
- Then, she applied Pantene Pro-V Volume Root Lifter Gel ($5) from the roots to the tips. She also used Pantene Pro-V Texturize Spray Wax ($6) to help create hold in the style.
- Next, she blow-dried Kristen's hair, brushing it away from the scalp. She also flipped her hair over to give lots of volume at the crown.
- To create the faux bowl look, Bowman pinned sections of Kristen's hair back, securing with bobby pins. She left some front pieces out, to give the feel of a bobbed hairstyle with bangs.
- Next, she applied Pantene Pro-V Smooth Smooth and Shine Anti-Frizz Serum ($6.50) for a smooth, shiny look.