Buying mascara can be harder than it looks; the way a product appears in an ad frequently bears no resemblance to the way it looks on lashes, and often there's no real "try before you buy." To save you from many unhappy returns, we guinea pigs at Sugar HQ have tried dozens of mascaras and are reporting our findings. Very serious stuff.
To kick off our series, we have MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash ($13). To see a close-up of how this mascara looks on real-girl lashes and get the pros and cons, just keep reading.
- The thin wand makes application easy.
- Our tester found it great for daytime, since it defines the lashes without being too full.
- Small brush bristles reach even the tiniest lashes.
- Despite the formula's high pigmentation, removal is easy.
- "It's not for someone who wants a thick, full lash," said our tester.