Where to Save
- Mascara: Considering the short shelf life of mascara, it makes more money sense to find a great tube from the drugstore. You'll find everything from waterproof to lengthening and volumizing formulas, many of which are just as impressive as some of the higher-end offerings.
- Lip gloss: With a little research and experimentation, you can get equally great shine, and even excellent color payoff, from a drugstore lip gloss.
- Eyeliner: Whether you prefer pencil or liquid, the drugstore versions often live up to the department store standards. Look for kohl pencil liners, as they usually glide more smoothly.
- Brushes: If you're on the market for smaller travel brushes or a lip brush (it gets gunky real fast), sometimes the less-expensive varieties can do just as good of a job as their department-store counterparts.
- Nail polish: From classic shades to trendy collections, you can find an array of nail polishes that don't even go into the double digits. Plus, you can experiment with nail art products from the drugstore without putting down a serious investment.
- Trendy colors: When you want to try a new color, go for the drugstore option. This rule applies to lipsticks and eye shadows, too. That way, if you really don't like how that bright purple lipstick turned out, you haven't spent too much.
Image Source: Corbis Images