Warding off the signs of aging is an uphill battle, and while you could stock up on creams and concoctions, Real Beauty recommends these tips to maintain a youthful appearance (and they're good for your health, too).
Beyond creams and serums, wellness expert Dr. John Pierce explains how to stave off aging the right way. It's no secret that everyone wants to appear younger. Incorporate these five points into your lifestyle, and you'll be on your way to feeling great and looking even better!
1. Take your vitamins: A daily vitamin regimen should consist of Vitamin D, fish oil, and a probiotic, says Dr. Pierce, as they all provide crucial elements to warding off illness and keeping a healthy lifestyle. Vitamin D helps regulate the immune system, fish oil is known to slow the aging process, while probiotics help maintain a healthy digestive system.
2. Get enough sleep: As we get older there are many factors that make it difficult to maintain the level of sleep we need for our body to function efficiently. It may be due to stress at work or disruptive nighttime behaviors like snoring or sleep apnea. Dr. Pierce suggests incorporating taking melatonin into your nightly routine. The natural level of melatonin in our bodies decreases with age, so it is important to supplement that loss to maintain a healthy amount of sleep each night.
3. Exercise: A great way to maintain health and wellness is through exercise. From cardio to weight resistance, staying fit will help keep your body in shape and positively affect weight, muscle mass, bone density, and even flexibility.
4. Eat a healthy diet: This might go without saying, but maintaining a healthy diet can extend your life and make you feel and look younger. Be sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and stay away from processed foods, white flour, and sugar. Portion control and moderation are also key elements in a healthy and effective diet.
5. Reduce stress: With age comes increased responsibility, which can also increase the amount of stress in your life. It is important to maintain a level of stress that does not negatively impact your health and well-being. Reducing stressful activities, as well as following this guide of getting a proper amount of sleep and maintaining healthy levels of diet and exercise, will also decrease levels of stress.
More stories from RealBeauty.com:
Cleansing Options For Every Skin Type
Hairstyles That Work For Any Age
What You Need to Know to Preserve Your Hair Color
The Best Self-Tanners of the Season
Natural Styles For Kinky and Curly Hair