Last year I posted a series called wiping the slate clean, which was all about clarifying facial cleansers. This year, I thought we could talk a little more frankly about detox — detoxing our skin that is. I've been on planes, trains, and cars throughout the holiday season and let's just say that I've had a few too many late nights (New Year's Eve included) trying to make up for lost time with friends and family.
But now that the party's over, my skin's seen better days. If you're still suffering the effects of overdoing it during the holidays, here are some helpful hints from skincare expert Liz Earle to get your once radiant skin back in check. And this detox program is so easy, you can do it over the course of a weekend.
- Did you know that eating a fruit-only diet for 24 hours can lead to increased energy and glowing skin and can help fight off free radicals? In particular, fruits such as blueberries, blackberries, and cabbage are high in antioxidants.
- Exfoliate your skin to stimulate your circulatory and lymphatic systems. This helps to significantly reduce the toxins in your body. Each day in the shower, massage a scrub over your face and body to help rejuvenate your skin.
For three more helpful skin detox tips,
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Choose any of your favorite body lotions or facial creams to help tired and dry skin rehydrate. Skin will look more supple, soft, and glowing almost immediately.
- Try your best to eliminate caffeine from your diet. While it would be ideal to give it up for good, I'm just talking about for a few days to give your body and skin some time to detox. Replace your cup of joe with something like green tea, which will help cleanse and protect your liver as well as return moisture to your skin.
- In combination with all of these tips make sure that you are exercising regularly. This will lead to renewed energy levels and the restoration of glowing skin.