When bright blossoms abound and the days are getting longer, there's nothing as retro-fab as red nail polish. Back in the days before shades like purple, green, and tangerine were de rigueur for the season, there were reds meant just for this time of year. And this season, bright reds have made a huge comeback. They're a chic choice for those who want a pop of juicy color, and if you pick the right shade, your hands and skin will positively glow. So to find out how to get the right warm-weather red for you, just keep reading.
- Go bright. Dark reds and brick reds can be lovely, but this just isn't the time of year for them, so look for a light, bright shade.
- Go sheer. They might require an extra coat, but more translucent polishes have a lot of transparency and depth, which makes for a softer look.
- Think about your undertones. If you're warm toned, find a pink or blue-red polish, and if you're cool toned, try an orange-red. True neutral reds, of course, are good for everyone.
- Think about your length. Super bright, opaque polish gives short nails extra drama and attention, but if your nails are already long and attention-grabbing and you want something subtler, either layer a little less polish over for a more sheer look, or add a basecoat of white polish to create a softer, milkier shade.
- Get creamed. Shimmer and sparkle are great for the holidays, but cream shades capture the vintage look better.