- Go bright. Dark reds and brick reds can be lovely, but this just isn't the time of year for them, so look for a light, bright shade.
- Go sheer. They might require an extra coat, but more translucent polishes have a lot of transparency and depth, which makes for a softer look.
- Think about your undertones. If you're warm toned, find a pink or blue-red polish, and if you're cool toned, try an orange-red. True neutral reds, of course, are good for everyone.
- Think about your length. Super bright, opaque polish gives short nails extra drama and attention, but if your nails are already long and attention-grabbing and you want something subtler, either layer a little less polish over for a more sheer look, or add a basecoat of white polish to create a softer, milkier shade.
- Get creamed. Shimmer and sparkle are great for the holidays, but cream shades capture the vintage look better.
Image Source: Thinkstock