Just one night, yet two hairstyles for Reese Witherspoon! I enjoyed seeing past winners say a few words directly to the nominees this year even though, as Buzz said, it took a little longer than usual. Since she's already picked up an Oscar for her role in Walk the Line, Reese took the stage to help present the Best Director award.
Hairstylist Mark Townsend happened to be present for her fitting of the Rodarte dress, and was inspired by the casual way she pulled back her hair to try it on. He created an elegant updo based on her impromptu dressing room twist, then later gave her lovely waves for the afterparties. See tips for both looks when you
- First, apply Matrix Vavoom Height of Glam volumizing foam to damp hair.
- Blow dry with a large, round Spornette mixed bristle brush and an FHI Heat Nano Pro 2000 hairdryer.
- When dry, give the hair shine and "piecey-ness" with a sculpting product (like Matrix Biolage Molding Soufflé).
- Next, gather the hair in a ponytail at the nape of the neck and twist into a textured knot. Use bobby pins to secure the knot, hairpins to shape the knot into an uneven chignon with lots of loose pieces, and then add light hold hairspray to finish.
- After a quick brush out, spray three-inch sections of hair with Vavoom Gold Head Iron-In Control before wrapping around a two-inch curling iron.
- Pull the side pieces back with bobby pins, letting a few hairs around the face fall out for softness.
- Complete the look with ShapeMaker hairspray.