As the weather gets windier and chillier, most of us will fight a round or two with dry skin. And while the weather is partially responsible, a lot of products you use every day, some of which are intended to stave off dryness, actually dehydrate your skin. To find out what could be chapping you, just read more.
- Lip balm. Yup, you might love them, but these little beauties commonly have ingredients like menthol and camphor, both of which actually dry out lips even more.
- Hand sanitizer. The alcohol in them and lack of water can dry your hands out and make your nails brittle.
- Fragranced hand lotion. The problem with lotion isn't the product itself, but constant reapplication. You only need to put it on once or twice a day. More than that and you can injure your skin's moisture barrier by constantly taking it from dry to wet.
- Warm water. A piping hot shower feels great when everything around you is freezing, but it strips your skin of its natural oils, drying it and making it more vulnerable.
- High-lathering soaps. It's really satisfying to work up a good lather, but the surfactants that make some products so bubbly actually dry your skin instead of soothing it.