You know you should be doing it, but it's often a skipped part of most skin care routines: exfoliation. This important step, however, can help correct a slew of complexion concerns. To find out why you should be regularly sloughing away during your regimen, read more.
- Get Soft Skin: Who doesn't love a little instant gratification? The first thing you'll notice after a good scrub (whether it's physical or chemical) is soft skin that you'll want to keep touching.
- Stimulate Tired Cells: It's natural for your body's skin cell renewal rate to start to slow down, which means that dull, dead-layer skin cells can linger around. Sloughing away that layer not only smooths things out, but can actually stimulate new skin cells when you exfoliate regularly (think two to three times a week). This means you'll boost your cell turnover rate, so you should have a glowing, healthy complexion.
- Help Prevent Acne: Regularly exfoliating on top of your acne care regimen can help quell breakouts. It's best to use a gentle chemical exfoliant for acne-prone skin, like enzymes that can assist in dissolving the dead skin cell buildup that clogs pores.
- Brighten Your Complexion: Hyperpigmentation can be reduced with a regular exfoliating regimen, too. The melanin buildup that causes dark spots can be diminished over time as you continue to slough away the outer layers of your skin.
- Prep Your Skin to Better Absorb Skin Care: Dead, dry skin cells can prevent all the goodness of your serums, moisturizers, and targeted treatments from penetrating to their maximum potential. Exfoliating helps to remove any barrier that might stop your skin care from achieving optimal results.