It wasn't always bright lights and red carpets for some of our favorite stars — even they had to do the odd job or two before becoming famous. Unsurprisingly, a lot of celebrities spent time working in the food industry to make ends meet, but there's also a handful who took really strange work opportunities in their younger years. Check out our list of odd celebrity jobs to see the typical, the unexpected, and the downright unbelievable.
Celebrities Who Worked at Restaurants
- Madonna was a Dunkin' Donuts clerk, according to a History Channel biography.
- Rachel McAdams, Pink, and James Franco all worked at McDonald's.
- Brad Pitt used to dress up as a chicken for El Pollo Loco.
- Gwen Stefani used to work at Dairy Queen.
- Jennifer Hudson and Queen Latifah both used to work at Burger King.
- Barack Obama and Julia Roberts were both ice cream scoopers at Baskin Robbins.
- Chris Pratt was a waiter in Hawaii.
- Eva Mendes sold hot dogs at Hot Dog on a Stick.
It only gets better, so check out the rest when you read on.
Celebrities Who Worked in Customer Service/Retail
- Kanye West and Matthew Morrison both used to work at Gap. Kanye actually rapped about it on his debut album, in the song "Spaceship"!
- Chace Crawford was a parking valet in Los Angeles.
- Nicole Kidman is a former massage therapist!
- Cory Monteith used to be a greeter at Walmart.
- Johnny Depp confessed that he was a (really bad) pen salesman.
Celebrities Who Used to Do WHAT?!
- Channing Tatum used to work as a stripper. And then he made a movie about it.
- Connie Britton taught aerobics while she auditioned for roles in NYC.
- James Wolk once worked as a Bar/Bat Mitzvah emcee.
- Amy Adams used to be a Hooters girl!
- Jake Johnson said he used to sell burritos out of a van.
- Patrick Dempsey used to be a professional juggler — check out this video.
- Hugh Jackman used to dress up as a clown for birthday parties.
- Jon Hamm once was a set-dresser for pornographic films. Oh, and he also taught high school drama.
- And last, but not least, Whoopi Goldberg used to be a mortuary beautician, meaning she'd put makeup on the deceased.